Monday, June 30, 2008

What Women Want - Are You Sure?

My mother and father divorced when I was a 1-year-old. My mother, brother and I shifted back to live with my mother's parents, who had both died by the time I was 7. My mother took on boarders to help her income, who were mostly single women.
I got to hear all the details of their love lives, as they talked to my mother after their dates. Because of this I got a very one-sided version of dating - the females point of view. This generally presented guys from a negative perspective. And it gave women from a positive perspective.
Consequently when females came to me for comfort and advice, from my teenage years, I gave advice that a woman having the perspective that was presented to me as a child, would cherish. And they even sat there agreeing with me. Yet when it came to it they did exactly the opposite of all I had said.
For example I could be saying that some guy was only after them for sex, and that he had clearly demonstrated this. They would agree that he was, and that they should seek for someone who would love them. Then he would turn up, and off they would go with him to give him sex and look back at me and shrug their shoulders.
For years I thought I must have been very bad at communicating and counselling. But I finally came to realise it wasn't me at all. It was them.
We have a collection of thoughts in our minds, from our experiences and those that others have expressed. Let's, for example, take stealing money. On one side we have the fact that having money has many advantages. We want to have our own house, a car and many other things that seem that they will bring a sense of well being and happiness. So one side is saying, "yes, I want that money." Yet on the other side we would have thoughts that say that a person owning something has a right to that which they own. We have those memories of how we felt when someone took something from us etc. Also we know that we will disappoint Heavenly Father if we steal. So we have that other side saying stealing to obtain money is wrong. Which we choose will depend on which idea is stronger at that point.
So often in my life, in the past, I have done what inside I knew I wasn't perfectly happy with: I knew God said it is wrong. So a part of me opposed it.
I have had so many women tell me this great collection of things they want in a man. And yet when they chose a guy he plainly doesn't poses these attributes. Women say (and I don't doubt it) that they want a guy who loves them. But the problem often occurs that the hot sex idea has also gotten into the head as a desireable thing. Of course the woman would, in most cases, vehemently deny it. But all these women that I discussed these things with over the years, and their actions, proved opposite to their claims.
I feel it important to come to realise WHY we should be morally clean. And what is wrong with lust. This is just one area where we need to become one with ourselves. Then what we say we want, and what we go for, will match.
Do you want spiritual security and heavenly wealth or physical security and wealth - Because they will often conflict. Work out which you want the most, and focus on that.
Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and being righteous like him, then he'll show you the things you need and make sure you get them. And his ways bring true joy.

No comments:

LDS Blogs and Sites List